The Curve Normalization Module enables users to normalize curves used in subsequent interpretation modules and calculations. Normalization can be performed relative to the key well, a fixed data range, or spatially via the use of grid interpolation (see recommendations section).
For the GR, SP, RhoB, Nphi, Resistivity, DT, and PE curves the user has the option to specify a normalization method. Available methods are:
- Simple shift: Align the data in non-key wells to the key well, based on a specified percentile value (e.g., align the GR in all wells to the p50 of the key well).
- Simple scale: Align the data in non-key wells to the key well, based on a low and high specified percentile values (e.g., stretch and squeeze the GR in all wells to the p10 and p90 of the key well).
- Advanced scale: Align the data in non-key wells to the key well, based on a low, middle, and high specified percentile values (e.g., stretch and squeeze the GR in all wells to the p10, p50, and p90 of the key well).).
- Scale to fixed range: Align the data such that a low percentile and high percentile in each well have a specified value (i.e., the p10 will have a value of 20 and the p90 will have a value of 150).
Note that for all curves used in subsequent interpretations that the normalization is performed in this module based on user specifications. For curves with no bad hole repair performed that the “_final” version of the curve is set (typically identical to the “_norm” curve).
Most important curves shown in bold.
- GR_NORM: Normalized gamma ray.
- SP_NORM: Normalized spontaneous potential.
- RESD_NORM: Normalized deep resistivity.
- RESM_NORM: Normalized medium resistivity.
- RESS_NORM: Normalized shallow resistivity.
- RXO_NORM: Normalized micro resistivity.
- NPHI_NORM: Normalized neutron.
- RHOB_NORM: Normalized bulk density.
- DT_NORM: Normalized compressional sonic.
- PE_NORM: Normalized photoelectric factor.
- GR_FINAL: Final gamma ray.
- SP_FINAL: Final spontaneous potential.
- RESD_FINAL: Final deep resistivity.
- RESM_FINAL: Final medium resistivity.
- RESS_FINAL: Final shallow resistivity.
- RXO_FINAL: Final micro resistivity.
- COND_FINAL: Final conductivity.
- DRHO_FINAL: Final density correction.
- CALI_FINAL: Final caliper.
- DTS_FINAL: Final shear sonic
CPI Config Reference
The relevant configuration file is 03_normalization.yaml.
- Gamma ray normalization track.
- Depth track.
- Spontaneous potential normalization track.
- Deep resistivity normalization track.
- Bulk density normalization track.
- Neutron normalization track.
- Compressional sonic normalization track.
- Photoelectric factor normalization track.
- GR_norm_rms: Root mean square of the gamma ray normalization.
- SP_norm_rms: Root mean square of the spontaneous potnetial normalization.
- RHOB_norm_rms: Root mean square of the bulk density normalization.
- NPHI_norm_rms: Root mean square of the neutron normalization.
- RESD norm_rms: Root mean square of the deep resistivity normalization.
- DT_norm_rms: Root mean square of the compressional sonic normalization.
- PE_norm_rms: Root mean square of the photoelectric factor normalization.
- When the key well is active and a key well normalization method is applied (i.e., Simple shift, Simple scale, or Advanced scale) there will be no visual changes to the key well. This is because only non-key wells are changed. To view the changes click on other wells or use a normalization QC track in a cross-section view.
- Scale to fixed range enables users to apply a spatial based normalization by calculating grids that represent values at the low and high percentiles after outlier removal and grid smoothing. For an example, please view the video “Spatial Normalization” in the Flows help section.